Monday, August 6, 2007

I'm going to Iowa...

Ames to be exact. Four of us from the office are leaving Friday morning and will be back on Sunday night. We are going for the Iowa Straw Poll.

What is the Iowa Straw Poll?
The Iowa Straw Poll is the most important event on the 2007 calendar for the Republican candidates seeking the Republican nomination for President. As other states continue to front-load the Presidential nomination calendar, Iowa's position at the front of the nomination process brings more significance in this cycle to both the Iowa Straw Poll and Caucus. In 1999 the first and second place finishers at the Iowa Straw Poll went on to receive over 70% of the vote in the Iowa Republican Caucuses in January, an indication of the importance that each campaign places on doing well in the Iowa Straw Poll. The Iowa Straw Poll has also historically winnowed the field of presidential candidates. In 1999 just two days after the Iowa Straw Poll, Lamar Alexander ended his campaign for president after a poor showing at the event. In October of the same year, Elizabeth Dole ended her campaign after not exceeding expectations in the Iowa Straw Poll. While the Iowa Straw Poll is not binding, it has become the first real test of each campaigns organizational strength. (Information from the Straw Poll website)
All that said...this is an important test for the Huckabee Campaign! Governor Huckabee did great in the ABC debate on Sunday morning. His numbers are increasing in Iowa and all over.
I'm so excited to get to go to the Straw Poll! I will keep you posted. I'm sure I will have a story or two and some great pics!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you have a blast!!!

Jessica

Anonymous said...

You need to bring back your favorite brother some corn, stalks and all. Failure to do so will mean you are really supporting the democrats.

Blake

Anonymous said...

Hope you have a great time. Just remember....everyone cannot drive 5 hrs. without a potty break.

Mary